Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Finally Everything Makes Sense

Pretty much one of the worst tortures you can inflict on a lover of music is to record a song where the listener has no hope of figuring out the lyrics on their own. If I want to sing along you damn well better let me do so without making a fool of myself, by supplying a lyric sheet along with the album. That way when I listen to Summer of '69 I don't end up getting laughed down by all my friends during that verse when Brian Adams's girlfriend stands on her mamma's Porche proclaiming she would wait forever.

Funny thing how our minds feel compelled to fill in the blanks. We can't just say, "I dunno, it's unclear. Ask again later." We say, "Sounds like this. I'll just go with it until somebody offers a better fit."

And so, people rightly decide that we are none too smart.

...I like songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment